‘Mindful consumption is the way to heal ourselves and to heal the world.’
Thich Nhat Hanh
Be a mindful consumer, please
- Take purchasing decisions seriously. Pause before you buy something - put it off for a week or so; come back to it at a later time and see if you still really need it.
- Be cautious about the product-life-cycle when buying – how a product is made, used, and disposed of after use all matter.
- Support local enterprises with social and environmental goals, and fair trade goods.
- Choose to buy locally made products from small locally-owned shops.
- Always bring your own shopping bag (BYOB).
- Buy used goods when you can.
- Donate what you don’t need (Freecycle).
- Purchase goods that are durable, useful, beautiful, practical, trustworthy and simple.
- Take care of and repair the goods you own to extend their life.
- Watch less TV, spend much less time on your smart phone.
- Spend more time in nature, interacting happily with people, and trying to bring happiness to other people. These things will bring happiness to you.
- Be aware that the best things in life aren't things. Buying things does not lead to happiness.